A Commissioner of the People...
When Sam retired from the pharmaceutical industry four years ago, he and his wife Joy (and their two Siberian Huskies) relocated to North Port. Here they built their home in this rapidly changing city. Sam felt that the City held the promise of becoming a great one. He noted that the local government was beset by the many and varied growing pains and problems associated with the City's unprecedented growth and demand for services. Sam made a commitment to become involved in improving the quality of life in North Port using his intellect and the leadership skill he acquired throughout his professional life.
Sam's evolving leadership skills and professional accomplishments:
* Experience as a U.S. Navy-trained hospital corpsman (Medic), later assigned to the U.S. Marine Corps. Honorably served for four years.
* Earned his undergraduate college degree while working his way through college. Among his accomplishments, he was the recipient of the Special Project Award his senior year in the field of Biology.
* Thirty-five years experience in the pharmaceutical field. Began as a sales representative and advanced through management and international training.
* Prior to his retirement, Sam established continuing education programs for physicians in the fields of Allergy and Immunology.
* He has won numerous awards in sales including the President's Club award which is the highest achievement attainable in the pharmaceutical industry.
* He was recognized by the University of Tennessee Allergy and Immunology Department, the Allergy Community and the Advanced Nurse Practitioners for his contributions to medical education.
* While working and raising a family, Sam continued his education by completing a Master’s of Science in Community Health
Sam overachieving history is no secret to anyone that knows him, neither are his leadership skills and his tireless source of energy. His commitment to the City of North Port and Sarasota County is legend. He is active in the following:
* State of Florida Supreme Court Certified Mediator. Does FREE pre-trial mediations for the 12th Circuit Court of Florida which includes North Port and Sarasota County.
* Advisory Board Member, three years for the Sarasota County Commissioners on Impact Fees.
* City of North Port Business Development Task Force member
* Health Services Chair of the Community Health Action Team (CHAT) responsible for negotiations to bring the E.R. to North Port and the recruitment of physicians to the community. The Health Services Sub-Committee has worked closely on the efforts to bring a much needed hospital to North Port.
* Director of Community Health Improvement Plan for the County of Sarasota
* CHAT member for the past three years
* Director: South County Association of Neighborhoods
* Chair (three years) - home owners association for Lakeside Greens, Heron Creek
* President: Kiwanis Knight Owls
* Frequent newspaper contriibutor on business and health issues for the North Port Sun Newspaper
Sam's commitment to the people of North Port will include:
* Bringing a hospital to North Port
* Bringing new industry to North Port
* Preserving existing business in the community
* Building better relationships between the city, county and state governments
* Minding responsible growth to the city with an emphasis on parks, recreation and nature
* Continued development of cultural, senior and youth centers
* Preserving our city's natural resources
* Improving quality education for our youth
* Developing community programs and resources that will bring our youth back home after college or technical training
Contact Sam George at:941-429-5882 or by e-mail at: email@example.com