Poll Worker Guidelines
Supervisor of Elections
Sarasota County, Florida
- The services provided by poll workers are essential to the election process. Poll
workers are helpful and courteous at all times.
- The clerk is in charge of the polling location, the assistant clerk is second-in-command.
Both positions require minimal computer experience. The clerk and/or
the poll worker coordinator will contact you regarding assignments at the polls.
- New applicants may be assigned as stand-by poll workers. Stand-bys could be called
upon to work at any time prior to election day and sometimes on election morning.
It is important that every stand-by poll worker be prepared for a last minute
- Poll workers are paid only if they work an election. Prior to an election,
poll workers and stand-bys must attend training workshops as required by Florida
law. (F.S. 102.014). Stand-by poll workers are paid for attending training
workshops if they are not called to work on election day. Poll workers are
expected to pass minimum competency requirements to work.
- On election day you must report to your assigned polling location no later than
6:00 a.m. Parking spaces adjacent to polling places should be left for voters. The
polls close at 7:00 p.m. and everyone is required to work the full
day. No one is released until all election board tasks are completed, and
the clerk authorizes the dismissal.
- Proper attire (business casual) is required. Poll workers shall not wear any jewelry,
buttons, pins, etc., that suggest political party affiliation or promote a candidate
or any issue on the ballot.
- Poll workers shall not make any partisan statements or remarks while working at
the polls or engage in conversation involving the personal business of the voter
to other poll workers.
- Everyone should come prepared to spend a full day, bringing
lunch, supper and any other necessities such as medicine,
etc. No one may leave the polling place during the day.
- Must be able to lift 45 lbs with co-worker.
- Smoking is not permitted by poll workers within or near the entrance to the polling
- Personal cell phones are not to be used in the polling room.
If you have any questions, please call the poll worker coordinator in Sarasota at