|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE||For More Information Contact|
|September 01, 2017||(941) 861-8606|
Governor calls Special Election for State House District 72
|~ What voters and candidates need to know ~
(SARASOTA, FL) - Sarasota County Supervisor of Elections Ron Turner has been notified by the Office of the Governor that a special election will be held for the State House of Representatives District 72 seat to fill the vacancy created by the resignation of state Representative Alex Miller for the remainder of the term. The District 72 seat is contained entirely within Sarasota County.
A Special Primary (if required) has been set for Tuesday, December 5, 2017, followed by the Special (General) Election on Tuesday, February 13, 2018. Only voters residing within State House District 72 will be eligible to vote in these elections.
Important information for voters
· The deadline to register to be eligible to vote in or to change party affiliation for the Special Primary is November 6, 2017. The deadline to register to be eligible to vote in the Special Election is January 16, 2018.
· To request a vote-by-mail ballot, eligible voters may email firstname.lastname@example.org
Important information for candidates
· Candidates wishing to run for the seat must qualify between 8 a.m., Sept 28, 2017 and noon, Sept 29, 2017. The Division of Elections in Tallahassee is the qualifying officer.
· A candidate seeking to qualify by petition will need to submit 305 valid signatures to the Sarasota County Supervisor of Elections Office by 5 p.m. September 25, 2017.
· The qualifying fee for candidates not qualifying by petition is $1,781.82 for partisan candidates and $1,187.88 for candidates who run without party affiliation.
For more information, call the elections office at (941) 861-8600 or visit www.SarasotaVotes.com